Approximately 400 visitors attended the Lasers in Action forum during Lasys in Stuttgart, Germany, between 5-7 June. A total of 30 talks took place over the three days of the trade fair, covering topics such as micromachining, cladding and welding, additive manufacturing, laser safety, beam shaping and ultrafast lasers.
A panel of experts discussed how making the switch to laser technology from conventional mechanical processes has become easier (Image Bildnachweis Messe Stuttgart)
The forum also featured an executive panel discussion on the market opportunities to be gained from making the switch to laser technology, and the skills and training required of personnel in order to make such a switch (see section 'Now hiring: skilled personnel' in our coverage of Lasys).
The panel comprised of Basil Garabet, CEO of NKT Photonics, Dr Ulf Quentin, head of industry management for microtechnologies at Trumpf Laser-und Systemtechnik, David Lawton, sales manager at Lasermet, and Jean-Paul Nicolet, head of laser business development and market support at GF Machining Solutions. The discussion was moderated by Warren Clark, Laser Systems Europe’s publishing director.
The forum was organised by Laser Systems Europe in cooperation with Messe Stuttgart and the Laser Institute of America. A selection of the presentations are available below (click on the links):
- Laser micromachining systems for the industrial production of electronic components - Hendrik Steinmetz, 3D-Micromac
- Latest developments in system technology for laser beam hardening and laser beam generating - Dr Roland Dierken, Erlanger Lasertechnik
- Potentials of precision laser processing of fiber reinforced polymer components - Volker Franke, Fraunhofer IWS
- Joining of metal to polymer without adhesives - Philipp Goetze, Fraunhofer IWS
- Novel Green Lasers Revolutionize Cutting of Polycrystalline Diamonds - Christian Hahn, InnoLas Photonics
- Real time M² and focus position measurement from mW to kW with BWA-MON - Michael Scaggs, Haas Laser Technologies
- Latest High Power Diode Laser Technology and its applications - Michael Nagel, Laserline
- Current trends in car body laser applications - Konstantin Ribalko, Laserline
- Optical design of beam delivery systems for cw and pulsed lasers - Roberto Knoth, LightTrans International
- Tailored laser beam shaping by freeform and diffractive optics - Roberto Knoth, LightTrans International
- CLAMIR: Closed-loop laser power control system for LMD/cladding processes - Rodrigo Linares, New Infrared Technologies
- Beam deflection technologies for ultra short pulse lasers - Dr Holger Schlueter, Scanlab
- Motorised beam delivery systems for scientific and industrial applications - Tadas Lipinskas, Optogama
- The latest Trumpf innovations focused on optics and optical components - Dr Andrey Andreev/Stefanie Feuchtenbeiner, Trumpf