Phillips creates affordable additive hybrid solution
Phillips Corporation, a solutions provider of manufacturing technology products and services to both commercial and federal government markets, has integrated Haas Automation’s subtractive CNC machine tool technology with an additive laser head manufactured by Meltio.
Engineering a seamless connection between controls, the Phillips Additive Hybrid is capable of traditional machining coupled with an additive manufacturing process using direct energy deposition technology.
The result is that Phillips has successfully integrated the power of both subtractive and additive processes for a revolutionary and affordable solution to producing and repairing parts.
Key advantages of this solution include:
- Ability to use and learn both subtractive and additive technologies on the Haas standard platform equipped with Meltio technology
- 3D print and complete a part using only one machine
- Repair or modify parts by adding material and machining it to final shape
- Use different materials on the same part for best design, weight and strength
- Produce high density parts with good resolution using Wire Laser DED
- Backed by Phillips applications engineering, service and training teams
“Meltio is proud to welcome Phillips Corporation as a Haas hybrid integration partner. Hybrid manufacturing offers the benefits of both additive and subtractive processes in one machine, providing cost and complexity advantages that have not been accessible before,” said Meltio’s Chief Technology & Innovation Officer Brian Matthews. “Meltio values the opportunity to work closely with Phillips to offer this exciting technology to its large base of industrial customers.”
“Phillips Corporation is pleased to be joining forces with Haas and Meltio to harness the combined power of affordable subtractive and additive manufacturing,” said Phillips CEO Alan M. Phillips. “The commercial and federal industrial supply chains have accelerating interest, applications and demand for 3D printed parts. The Phillips Additive Hybrid solution integrated with the Meltio Engine is an optimal fit for customers seeking to add exceptional capability to their subtractive tools while also entering or expanding upon their additive manufacturing capability – all in one machine.”